- In The STARlight: Research and Resources for English Learner Achievement & Improving Education for English Learners: Research-Based Approaches (CDE, 2010)
These recently issued set of commissioned papers focus on the shifts, challenges, and opportunities as well as addressing language and literacy issues found in the new Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards. Understanding Language aims to heighten educator awareness of the critical role that language plays in the new Common Core Standards and the New Generation Science standards. The authors, leading thinkers, researchers, practitioners, and policymakers in the field of language learning, seek to improve education for all students – especially English Language Learners. They seek to improve academic outcomes for ELLS by drawing attention to critical aspects of instructional practice and by advocating for necessary policy supports at the state and local levels. The long-term goal of the initiative is to help educators understand that the new Standards cannot be achieved without providing specific attention to the language demands inherent to each content area.
For your convenience, the following PowerPoint presentations have been posted for those facilitating professional development and parent/community education using the California Department of Education publication Improving Education for English Learners: Research-Based Approaches (2010). These resources were created by County Office of Education Title III Leads across the state of California and have been posted here with permission. As seen in the Alignment Guide, these topics and chapters connect with the STARlight issues for enhanced access to research and resources for English learners.
- Chapter 1 Saunders and Goldenberg COE Leads.ppt
- Chapter 2 Snow and Katz COE Leads.ppt
- Chapter 3 Dutro and Kinsella COE Leads.ppt
- Chapter 4 August and Shanahan COE leads.ppt
- Chapter 5 Echevarria and Short Title III Leads.ppt
- Chapter 6 Lindholm-Leary and Genesee SonomaLake.ppt